- Analyze Position: Review job description, highlight main qualifications and responsibilities.
- Research Employer: Study mission, services, products, competitors and hiring committee members using employer’s website, Hoovers, Google, phone calls, etc. Write down questions to ask them.
- Review Your Qualifications: Be prepared to tell detailed stories of how your experiences, internships, volunteering, projects, courses, interests, and hobbies have equipped you for success in the target position.
- Practice: Answer potential questions in front of a mirror and with another person. Evaluate responses on the basis of completeness, level of detail, ease of following, pace, voice tone/quality, energy, posture, eye contact, hand motions, etc.
- Site Info: Get directions to interview site; know if interview is one-on-one, panel, group, or phone; confirm date, time, and parking.
- Etiquette: Choose appropriate clothes, arrive 15 minutes early, no gum, minimal or no fragrance, silence cell phones, be respectful to everyone including administrative staff, alert references that they may be contacted and bring reference sheet.