Employers care about two things: experience and education. So, keep all focus there. Employers spend 5-15 seconds reviewing a resume for transferable skills and relevant experience that meet their specific job criteria. Steps:
- Analyze Job Description: Highlight main qualifications and responsibilities and use same or similar words in your resume.
- Make Accomplishment List: Focus on measurable outcomes of your efforts…quantify if possible. Include outcomes from jobs, volunteering, education, projects, and other activities.
- Showcase Relevant Skills: Package relevant accomplishments to correspond with highlighted job description items.
- Write Accomplishment Phrases: Write concise phrases demonstrating your relevant skills to employer’s needs. Most relevant information should come first.
- Choose Format: Reverse chronological (most recent to least recent), functional (skill headings), or hybrid.